June 11, 2008

Some People Have All the Luck...

...and obviously, I've gotten my fair share. I am employed for the fall; I had an interview yesterday afternoon and was offered the job this morning. It was the job Matt and I had hoped for, since it's in his district; that means it should not be a big hairy deal for me to keep on assistant coaching the (State Champions!) team.

Okay, it's not *all* luck. I'm sure it helps that I have that Continuing License I worked so hard to get (especially now that you can put it off for quite a while, which I did not). And it helps that I grew up in the District, got excellent grades there, did not end up in Juvy, etc. And I have experience teaching. Finally, it has to help that I am happy and proud to know some Pillars of the Community in the small unincorporated hamlet in which I'll be teaching (don't get me wrong; it's a cute hamlet. Crossroads. Wide area in the road. Whatever. ;-) ).

So what's she teaching, you might ask? I'll tell you: everything! First, it's important to point out that not everyone who has ever taught in a high school, likes middle schoolers. I do. And that is fortunate, for I'll be teaching a combined class of 7th and 8th graders all day. It's a "self-contained" class, which in this case means that all the 7th and 8th graders in the school (around 23, at last count)* are in it, and I will be their only teacher--except when I swap with the 5th/6th guy to do science or social studies (we'll figure that out soon). Since I've always disliked having to choose just one thing to focus on, I'm actually really looking forward to that situation.

On the other hand, I'll also be teaching math. (Are those sirens I hear?....) No, really, it will be okay; I won't have to go beyond Algebra I, which is the last math class I did anything remotely resembling A work in. It'll just take me a while to figure out exactly how to teach it, never having done so.

So that's the scoop. Preschool placement will get figured out when Matt gets back from Vegas, and we'll also have some purchasing decisions to make; some of our making-do strategies will become obsolete when there's no one here to be doing the making-do (ing?). While I don't think either of us is planning to engage in obnoxious conspicuous consumption....it will be nice to have two incomes again.

And Tier Two status!


*This is a nice change from 33 per class for English 9, and a total load of around 180. Perhaps nice is not a strong enough word, especially since I am the Worst Teacher in the History of the World at Learning Names.

5 comments:

Tami said...

Congrats. I'm in a huge hurry ATM, but I heartily recommend driving your kids out to Bavaria to the PBNC/CDC before you head on to work. It's not that far out of the way if you are heading out past Alpha and EZ etc. (was that careful enough to leave out identifying geography?)

Ginger Ogle said...

Thanks--So careful that I'm fairly stumped!

I'm teaching at Ellen's old school, FWIW. We're thinking of a preschool place here in town, though, so the girls won't spend too much of their lives in the car...but it's not all decided yet.

You could email me with real names if you wanna. :-)

Tami said...

Oh! Haha! Then this is actually on your way, I thought you were on your way to the same town Matt's in. Anyway, this is where I lived and taught for several years while the kids were tiny. Yes, the kids would be in the car, but it's SUCH. A. NICE. SCHOOL. Seriously. They work their butts off to meet all the NAEYC criteria and it really shows.

Anyway, it's part of the nursing center, which is just about the only gig in town out there.

If you're still stumped, I'll email LOL! (sorry i'm lazy, your email address is there in hotmail someplace, and i don't use it much anymore)

Ginger Ogle said...

Got it figured out now, thanks! (Good Clues.)

We'll look into it. It's such a toss-up...have them be close to us for handiness and emergencies, or have them be close to home and not have the drive time....But we'll figure it out. :-)

Tami said...

Yep, I remember those same conundrums when I was driving south to work at Leslie. I ended up keeping them in care near home because I had mom, sis, and a sil who would all pinch hit for me if a kid got sick, making it possible for me to stay at work and finish the day. Bringing them to Salem wouldn't have worked for me. The support system you have makes a tremendous difference, for sure. Also, you should be a little better off with the girlies being a little older. Mine started at the center at 10 months for each. Prior to that, I had them in home care between my mom, sis, and sil.

Our move over to Dayton has been 95% wonderful but the #1 thing we miss is PBNC. Boohoo! We do visit when we can, though.

One observation I have happily made is that as the kids get older, I don't feel the compulsion to be quite so picky about their limited time in childcare now. When they were little, that mama bear instinct was still too strong but as they grow and become independent, it's very freeing. Just one of those things you don't expect until you're there, kwim?