April 1, 2008

ain't got, got, got no time...

but I know Tam's not the only one eager for Ogle news.

So: we had Spring Break.

Before that, we qualified one kid to nationals (in LD Debate; they can only go in one event, now).

Before that, we were having a tournament almost every weekend, and before that, we got to play for a night out, thanks to a generous gift from my aunt and cousin (we went and saw..."The Debaters". Of course!).

Before that, I enjoyed my very-much-a-surprise-gift post-Christmas night out...mostly. I got to see Ellen for several hours, and we enjoyed a leisurely dinner, followed by coloring (we are, after all, party animals!) No children of mine were present at the dinner, and it was oh! so lovely to just talk like, and realize we actually are....grownups. I enjoyed the hot tub. I did not enjoy the dusty bed, though I had just finished my course of steroids and was actually much better. I ended up sleeping on a leather loveseat, some, and decided maybe next year....I'll send the family away instead. :-)

And I plan to start allergy shots, once speech season is done. We'll see if they work for me....

Over Spring Break (what was left after NFL), we did not sit still much. I had to work on our taxes, which are considerably more complicated this year as we both have self-employment income (that's just one of the perks...okay, it's the only perk....wait, it's NOT a perk! of Matt's being the union president; although he has no expenses to put against it, he is considered a sole proprietor in his union hat.)

We also managed to get to the library for a kid's concert--fun! though Laura stood just outside the auditorium to do her dancing--and took the girls out to lunch one day, just for fun (chocolate shakes and balloons get them every time!) Matt did some school work. We took delivery (free) of four filing cabinets and a desk (free.) Those will make my, and possibly Matt's office, very happy at some point.

Saturday we had a lovely afternoon, thanks entirely to two of our co-captains who had given us three free babysitting sessions for Christmas. Taking them at their word, we took all three sessions in one day: we both got lots of work done in the morning, got the girls (ours) down for their naps, then went off to explore the Mission Mill Museum and go out to dinner. As a fabric addict, it was fascinating for me to see how the wool was processed, but the most gripping thing I saw was the mill race; it had never really made sense to me that you could, you know, lose a child in one, because when I think of a mill, I picture a water wheel alongside some placid creek back East. That's not enough to run a woolen mill, so they purposely channel the water into a narrower space to make it stronger and faster--hence, I'm guessing, "race." Anyway, it was amazing to see wimpy little Mill Creek suddenly look like a scary rapids. Good engineering.

Now we're in the breathless race (sorry ;-)) to Districts. We've been having practice three days a week, which is one reason you haven't had reports--getting the girls up in the morning, then down in time (and tired enough) for naps, then up and hustled out the door in time to make practice at 3:15 (or so) is no joke. Doing it two days in a row, as we are now, is even less jokier. And I do still love that whither I goest, goest them, too; it's just time-consuming right now.

Upcoming pictures you are owed (go ahead, nag me. It couldn't hurt...):
  • Laura "doctoring" Dudley the cat while Emily reads him books
  • child faces around our dining room table, from a gathering of the Usual Suspects

6 comments:

Tami said...

SE taxes make me want to stick a fork in my eye. Many forks. Probably both eyes. Garg!

That scheduling re: naptime would also require forks (to my eyes, not to the kidlets...heh). It will be so much easier when they are both in school...except for logistics with all the after-school stuff. Like soccer. Oh man. Never before have I wished so fervently for warmer weather (heck, how about just drier?).

You *have* been busy. Now post some pics. Ha!

Ty Davison said...

I had to work on our taxes, which are considerably more complicated this year as we both have self-employment income (that's just one of the perks...okay, it's the only perk....wait, it's NOT a perk! of Matt's being the union president; although he has no expenses to put against it, he is considered a sole proprietor in his union hat.)

I was surprised to learn that Matt's union president gig has no offsetting expenses from that role. No mileage, office expenses, etc.? Because I agree with you: No off-setting expenses and self-employment income is no perk whatsoever.

Ginger Ogle said...

Ty--well, I suppose he could have $5 or so in mileage (if that), since most of his time as pres. is spent/used right there on site. There are various meetings, but it's a small town (or they are held literally just up the street from us). and of course, we didn't track it, not realizing what was coming in time. But I'm not sure it'd be worth it anyway, because it's so little. No office expenses; the union covers anything like that (and there are precious few expenses along those lines anyway.)

But never fear, what with the extensively expanded Sec. 179 limits, I'm sure *I* will have some expenses that will handily offset his C income (nothing we can do about the FICA taxes, but at least it won't affect the AGI :-) ).

Ginger Ogle said...

Tami-Do you mean one is NOT supposed to HAVE forks in one's eyes? (I thought that was all the vogue these days ;-) ). Anyway, I went crazy a long time ago.

Ty Davison said...

If the union work is on site, that day's trip from home (and back) should be deductible....right? I mean the fact that he was 8 hours early and taught classes all day is beside the point. He had to get out there somehow for the union gig, and that should be deductible at the IRS mileage rate. At least that's how it seems to me (a non-expert).

Ginger Ogle said...

Ty--Alas, the IRS is onto folks like you!

They have *very* specific rules about "commute"; so specific that, if you, for instance, have several jobsites, you may not deduct the first and last trips of the day (i.e., the ones connected in any way to home; the rationale being that everybody has a commute, and they don't think it oughter be deducted by anyone.) Though I think there might be an exception for working out of your home that says if you go back during the day and then out again (all on biz), *those* trips you can deduct.

Some days, I wish I didn't know so much....

(It's also worth pointing out that as a former LTP, I have a slightly elevated audit risk; us [supposedly] in the know tend to be more squirrelly, I guess. So I work extra hard to toe the line and not give them any reason to "make my day"!)