February 18, 2008

What I Do Instead of Blogging...

Today, like everyone else in the PNW, I was seized with a strong urge to be outside (actually, I was outside yesterday, too). So the tomato bed of last summer is finally uprooted, the stringy disgusting tomato vines now chopped up and preparing themselves to finish their carbon cycles; all the leaves that got left on the lawn near, but not in, the garden beds, are IN the garden beds (better late than never...); and I planted a few early flower seeds, as well as peas (hey, it's President's Day. You're *supposed* to plant peas on President's Day. It's, like, a LAW.) and spinach and, being a gambler at heart, lettuce.

This weekend, I finally finished the Little Girl Nightgown Extravaganza of 2007. I had purchased (at a good discount, natch) several different flannel fabrics, intending to spoil my children rotten at Christmas. Laura has long adored the few nightgowns she has, and they're a lot easier for little potty-goers than zip-up footie pajamas; just lift, lower, and ....uh...."go"! I made one for Laura around her birthday, in November, then was busily working on more to get done in time for Christmas. Then I got sick, which killed most of December. But I had them all cut out (the gowns, not the children), so I couldn't put it off until next winter; they might not fit! But now, I'm done: there are two little gowns with kitties on them (one pink, one aqua--those actually made it under the tree, though it was a near thing!); three little solid-color gowns (red and purple for Laura, green for Emily); two white with capital letters all over them; and two white with pastel polka-dots.

I've been getting my sewing room closer to proper for a dust allergy sufferer. More plastic bins, and I'm in the process of washing my whole fabric stash, since a lot of it has been exposed to dust and such at one point or another. I have to do this gradually because, as one of my fellow coaches put it when I was describing what it's like to have little children and a dust issue, "My God, your washing machine must be running All The Time!" (and she was 100% correct; if it's not running, I know I'm getting behinder.) But the sewing room is getting better. There were a few things that I had to actually sew into a different status before they could be safely (i.e., without falling apart or tangling themselves impossibly in the machinery) laundered, and the nightgowns represent almost the end of that category. Finally, I'm approaching sewing nirvana because--don't laugh--Matt gave me an ironing board for Christmas (muttering all the while, but I really wanted it!). So now I have a very efficient set up with sewing machine at twelve o'clock, ironing board at nine o'clock, and serger at three o'clock, with just space for my old office chair to swivel between them. And, of course, tidy little containers for the sewing-room toys and the Little People, whose village has moved up there as well.

We've been trying a whole host of organic foods, but that's the subject for another post. As is the speech team, though I can say that their string of successes continues. And of course, as long as it's legal, I'm playing Scrabulous. I also had lots of catching up to do in general in January (not least of which was getting my strength back; I had a killer!), and am finally starting to feel like I only have "normal" things to do (payroll taxes are behind me at last, at last...now I just have *our* taxes to do, like everyone else :-) ). Well, you know, as normal as we ever get....

1 comment:

Tami said...

You know you CANNOT post about those nightgowns like that without a picture....!!!

I haven't had any pics of Wrenna up lately, so I'll make you a deal...

;)