November 23, 2007

Update on the Aliases

Things move pretty fast around here; Emily's been reading a board book about dinosaurs for around a month. So now, she requests that she be called the "'Ceratops!". Laura refuses to actually have a specific dinosaur name, and calls herself "Dinosaur" (generically). Daddy, however, is now "Iguanadon!" I have so far avoided a name, which is good; Tyrannosaurus is one of the few remaining ones Emily knows. (I don't really want to be the Stegosaurus, either, which is the other names she knows.)

I know I've been brief lately, but I've got a good reason: in between all the other stuff I do, there's this new version of War and Peace out, and I thought this would be a good time to dive in. I haven't ever read it. What kind of reading geek will I be, without having read that? I mean, I've suffered the whole way through Michener books! How bad could it be? (I suppose that's what I'm trying to find out.)

Anyway, three different reviews I saw praised the translators of this particular version. So far, the only trouble I've had is with the disjointedness of looking at the footnotes for the translations of the (Russified) French Tolstoy has his uppercrust characters speaking. (I know a lot of French, but I like to double check things. And it's been a long time since I did any serious speaking of it.)

No comments: