October 9, 2007

Let the (Blue) Fur Fly!

It's October, and that means Hallowe'en is coming. And *that* means that Ginger is busy making costumes.

How do I get myself into these things?

(For the record, I love my life. I even recently turned down some money I could have been earning--in exchange for my time and expertise--because doing it would mean eliminating something else from my schedule. And I do love what I'm doing here.)

So anyway, I've never been a big booster of this holiday. I recall a few disjointed attempts at trick-or-treating as a child, mostly once I was old enough to figure out my own costume and still young enough to guess I wouldn't be turned away at doors. So I didn't do much to sell it to the girls. Matt, on the other hand...well, last year, we decided at the last minute to dive into the dress-up box and take them for a spin down the block. From that moment, Laura was hooked. I don't even think it's the candy or the clothes; it's the weirdness factor. She loved it all, though, knocking on doors and learning to yell the traditional alms slogan; and equally loved being at home, handing out goodies to others.

So this year, costumes are a big deal. I have never in all my years started even *thinking* about a costume this early. Then again, I've never had this many to figure out.

We've recently lifted the video ban, Emily having reached the age of consent at last. Not that they're surfing the channels (since we still don't have any). We do, however, have a DVD starring Elmo, and three of early Sesame Street, as well as one VeggieTales with which to rot their brains. It was from the ancient Sesame Street that the girls got the inspirations for their costumes (talk about the sins of the fathers...). Having priced the outfits online (one, at least; the other is pretty much unavailable), checked my serger-inspired soul, and ogled fabric, I decided to dive in. Hey, I may not be able to make the world go 'round, but Laura *loves* the idea of Mama making her something. Emily is just excited at the thought of transforming, somehow, into someone(thing) else.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch....I lobbied hard before school started to add one particular tournament to the speech schedule this year, even though it means a loooong stretch of weekends in a row. It's run by a good friend of ours, a compatriot who's not only been on the State Tournament committee with us several times running, but also a fellow mom of our generation and generally good soul. On top of that, she's FUN. So her tournament, being always near Hallowe'en, requires costumes for competitors and encourages them for coaches and judges. I was going to go, giving Matt a rest between weekends, so I figured out a costume for me, too. Alas, one day last week, Matt came home with the news that the other assistant coach (whom we are elated to have, believe me!) ought to go, too, and being a male, couldn't share a room with me (not that *I* would care--I shared a room with my [male] college debate partner lots, and got over any squeamishness and toilet-seat issues then--but it's policy, ya know.) So, rather than paying for an extra room, we agreed that Matt would go. So now HE needed a costume!

Back to the online fabric store I go (thank goodness for online stores. I might have had a coronary if I'd had to drive, too!) That bundle should arrive later in the week, and meanwhile, I have plenty to do.

I will post pictures when I'm done (with however many of them I finish!) Wish me luck to get all four finished; that way I'll only have the girls' to worry about next year.

No comments: