March 9, 2007

Freecycling, freeloading...

My birthday's next week, and it's a budgetary impossibility for me to have everything on my list (probably just as well; that sort of thing keeps one humble, etc.) On the other hand, if I can find some of the things for free and/or cheap, well...I can get more of them. And they're useful things, after all, not covetous ones.

So I posted the two "wants" on freecycle, found that craigslist is finally local (hallelujah and it's high time!), then smacked my forehead and asked myself why I didn't ask you, the loyal readership (all five of you ;-) ) if anyone has one of these or knows of one being available.

The two things are:

1. A serger. Here's what a serger looks like (N.B.: they're not all as expensive as this one; it's just the first one that came up in a Google search. They also have anywhere from three to five of those cones sticking up in the back. I'm not picky about how many it has, because it won't make a difference for what I need it to do.) In case you have no idea what one does, look at a piece of your clothing (especially a t-shirt or sweats). The straight stitching is probably done with a sewing machine; all that loopy stuff on the seams is done with a serger (and that's what I want it for; it makes finishing seams waaaaaaaay faster.)

2. Garden fence. I love having y'all over, and I have these little busy girls, and I'm trying to keep everyone OUT of the garden. Especially the veggie garden. Squashed tomatoes aren't much fun. So I'm looking for some of that white wire fence that's about a foot and a half high, or plastic that's roughly the same size (I don't care if it matches what I've got). I only need about 10 feet to protect the garden proper, though I could of course use more to protect the less mission-critical flower beds.

So, there's my freeloading for the day. Thanks for any help!

4 comments:

Tami said...

I'm so sorry I don't have any junk you can use. Oh, wait, there may be more toys *heh heh*.....

I have trees. Yours for the taking. Don't go by what's up for retail on the website. Do you like birch trees? Need a replacement for your ponderosa? How about some little cedar trees for the girlies to plant? You can practically watch them grow!

Ginger Ogle said...

As always, you are really TOO kind. Somehow, I don't think I want to have cedar trees lining my garden; while I'm sure it would be a very *effective* fencing system (eventually), the garden's only about 20'x 7'. I think the cedars might take over! But thanks for the offer.

As for the ponderosa, that's a nice idea. But...it was actually in the south-easternmost corner of the property, right next to the garden. So I've been enjoying the light since it's gone! Oh, well...

Tami said...

Okay, well toys is is then. Muhaahahaaa ;)

Tami said...

*it* (grrr)