December 9, 2006

Diagnosis: Medication Issue

Pat was sent home today (yay!)

The professional opinion of the medics is that her primary care physician had her on a beta-blocker for high blood pressure, which, with her other issues, lowered her pulse rate to dangerous levels (I'm not sure how that resulted in the high blood pressure she had, but that's why I'm not an M.D. ;-) ) They kept her long enough to make sure that taking her off that medicine (and onto a different one, I think) would stabilize her pulse, keep the BP down, and that therefore they wouldn't have to go on to other measures (like a pacemaker).

While I understand the privacy concerns, this would be a prime example of why medical records should be all electronic (and easily accessible when they're needed), especially for someone who still suffers from aphasia quite a bit. She'd be lucky to be able to explain to the primary why she went to the hospital last time, let alone describe the procedure they did while she was there. Clearly, someone--whether at the hospital or at the primary care office--should have done a much better job with the drugs. But all's well that ends well, I guess.

1 comment:

Tami said...

I'm so glad she's okay! I was thinking pacemaker when I read your other posts...I'm glad they've avoided that for now.