November 29, 2006

The Perils of Being a Parrot With Technology

Laura loves to memorize books, and now we know that she will memorize them even if she just hears an audio version, sans pictures (clearly, she's a strong auditory learner. Swearers be warned...I wouldn't tell any big secrets around this kid, either!)

So we're driving off to practice, and I'm not really paying attention to Laura since I'm looking out for black ice and such. She's singing kiddie songs to herself, but eventually...

"Mama?"
...
"Mama?"
...
"Mama?"
"Yes, my darling?" (That's what I'm supposed to say. If I don't, I get reminded.)
"Mama?"
"Yes, my darling?"

Sooner rather than later, I needed a break from that game, so I suggested she "do" The Velveteen Rabbit for me, one of the books she's recently been memorizing (I am in awe; she's got a good ten minutes of it on the "tape" in her head; obviously she'll be fine doing memorized speeches later on....). So, this is what came from the back seat:

"This...is a Librivox recording....All Librivox recordings...are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit...Librivox dot org. Recording by...Marlo Dianne, forbidden dragon dot blogspot dot com. The Velveteen Rabbit, Or, How Toys Become Real, by Margery Williams.....There was once a Velveteen Rabbit... "

When I finished laughing and could again see to drive, I gently explained to Laura that that...wasn't part of the story. That all the Librivox recordings start out that way.

I think she thought I was crazy! It's either a)time to stop listening to things on my computer, or b)listen to lots more, so she gets the Librivox sensibility down. (Can you guess which one I vote for?)

3 comments:

mackinaw said...

hi ginger, this is one of the funniest things I've ever seen about librivox ... I posted it on our forum (hope you don't mind?... if you do I'll take it down) ...

all the best,
Hugh
LibriVox

Ginger Ogle said...

Feel free--you guys deserve a laugh, if only for all the good work you do. :-)

Anonymous said...

OMG Ginger, that is hilarious. Kids!