November 16, 2006

Apparently, Biology is Destiny. Darn.

I find that being a parent--specifically, a mother--makes me totally not objective, particularly in the health arena. Even though, intellectually, I know that Emily's going to be just fine, listening to her losing her little voice (her crying now sounds especially pitiful because of that), coughing like a three-pack-a-day smoker, and snorgling (snoring + gurgling) in her sleep just makes me feel...desperate. (And this is after her regularly-scheduled doctor check-up yesterday, at which her ears were checked as usual, and just as usual, there is no infection--lucky us! Considering that we all have the same thing, it's also obvious that it's just a cold, and the doctor even reassured Matt that her little lungs are sounding great so far.) We've been here many times before, and every time, it's the same. I feel sorry for myself, I feel sorry for Matt, I feel concerned for Laura, and absolutely frantic about Emily.

Since this is obviously something hardwired into the whole motherhood thing--or else Matt would suffer as I do, and my Vulcan-like thoughts would have some effect--I'm trying to figure out how it's a positive adaptive strategy. I mean, okay, you wouldn't want Cave Mom running off and leaving sick little Cave Baby alone; you want her to take Cave Baby with her while she gathers food, preferably tucked into some warm dead animal skins. But how does making her worry about Cave Baby (more accurately, Cave Toddler) with every breath help? Is there no middle ground?

Could we maybe make it a goal to change this for the next few generations? I mean, is it possible to purposely affect our own species' evolution? If we all tried really hard, I bet we could do it.

You go first; I have to check on Em.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I try to explain this to my WIC clients. _The Nursing Mother's Companion_ says that hearing your baby cry is like having an alarm go off inside your body. I think it's a very apt analogy.

Unfortunately, it's difficult to ignore or turn that alarm off when your child is a very whiny almost-five-year-old. I keep trying to explain that "crying wolf" concept, but it's not sinking in yet...