September 17, 2006

Another Reason to Love the Library

Laura will do almost anything for a hand stamp. I finally figured this out after watching her re-enact library lapsit story time, always ending with the pretend stamp on her hand.

Bing! (Lightbulb appears over Ginger's head). I have a bunch of stamps that I used (and will again, I assume) while teaching. Laura loves stamps. What a good reward system for the potty process!

Good news: it's working pretty well. To be honest, I don't think she's quite able to tell when things are ready to, um, evacuate yet. But with stamps, it doesn't matter as much: she wants to sit there pretty often, and when I give her the whole little bowl full of them, she sits there plenty of time for that sweet, sweet music to sound (getting her to leave before her little behind falls asleep is now the problem). And of course, every bulls-eye gets an actual hand stamp with INK on her hand. (I have promised TWO stamps for really exciting productions, but we're not there yet.)

All of this gives me some hope. That's good, because although I know it's my job, this is one of those parenting things that I would cheerfully pay someone tons of money to do, if I a) had tons of money, and b) was sure they'd do a good job. In short, it ain't my bag. But--unless we want HER to wear a bag ;-)--it's got to be done. So I'm glad the library uses those hand stamps!

1 comment:

Tami said...

Wow, I'm impressed. Maybe you could write a book...? Contrary to popular belief, my son potty learned FAR earlier than his sister. He was fully trained by 2. The sister, on the other hand....well, let's just say I'm thankful that she was finally out of diapers by 4.