March 10, 2006

Survey Says....

I called the "call before you dig" number a few days ago, so our yard
is now sporting various Day-Glo colors identifying all the major
utility lines. I wanted to get it done now for a few reasons: one,
I'm picking up some free plants tomorrow, and while none of them have
particularly deep roots, it's definitely nice to know for the long term
(one is a peony, and they do hate being moved, after all.) A second
reason is that we're serious about wanting to revamp the place, and who
knows what we may decide to do? Radical change is certainly not out of
the question (for reference, see our living room paint color ;-) ).
I've already pretty much decided that I can let the cedar tree by our
driveway go, and I'm ready to chuck the dwarf spruces on either side of
the front walk, as long as they can be replaced with something shrubby
(that blooms!) As it turns out, the only line even close to either of
those is water. See? It's wonderful to know these things, not that
either of those changes is likely to happen in the next few weeks.

I went out and took several photos of the marks, since they're not
permanent by any means (they are meant to fade). If we get the chance
before they're too weak, I'd love to go out and actually measure
everything so we can make a totally accurate map, but if not, I did try
to put stable reference points in the pics.

As a side note, the reason I have the free plants coming is because of
FreeCycle, and one of its offshoots (get it?), which is a version of
the list just for garden-related things. It is too cool, and I do plan
to donate my own cast-offs (as soon as I have any!) If you're
interested, I can send you the info. on signing up for it. I think my
favorite thing is that you know you're getting things that are adapted
to the local climate (and my second favorite is that it's free.)

5 comments:

Tami said...

Heh. Plants LOL! You need free plants?! *snort* I have a few thousand that are going to the burn pile...LMK ;)

Ginger Ogle said...

Yeah, I looked at the greenhouse options, but nothing struck my fancy...I'm a flower girl. :-) A *cheap* flower girl.

But thanks. :-)

Tami said...

You are surely welcome. Honestly, there's not a lot there that *I* would be planting right now LOL...I can't wait to full up the greenhouse with flowering baskets. **evil laugh** I have a bunch of trees that aren't on the website...some river birch and arborvitae options, if you need some landscape-ish type stuff to replace those bushes you want to take out. ;)

I can't remember offhand but I think they are hosted at flickr.com...same username. Just say the word and I'll fill up my trunk on my way to your place.

Tami said...

Criminy! Sorry! The flickr username would be bazanna.

Ginger Ogle said...

You're so good to me!

No, see what happened is that we moved into a house with neglected but very established plantings (I don't think the previous owner cared, but someone before that obviously did. I'm eagerly awaiting the blooms on one shrub that, according to neighbors, hasn't bloomed in FIFTEEN YEARS!). So it' s much more a question of clearing away things I don't like, and filling in (small) things I do.

But thanks. :-)