January 12, 2006

Gardening in Paradise

It's difficult to remember sometimes at this time of the year, but we
share a plant hardiness climate zone with the middle of Texas and most
of the Florida panhandle. There are very few categories of things you
can't grow here, even if they won't make it through the winter.

So, I planted some roses yesterday. "Mah" offered me some starts she's
had growing in water on her porch for, oh, a year? or so, and offered
to hold Emily for 10 minutes while I dug them a hole. I took the
opportunity to move some irises while I was out there; I moved several
others year before last, but there were still a few hold outs
inconveniently occupying what is now vegetable garden space. They
should fill in the gap in the line of the other moved ones nicely.

Anyway, back to the roses: it is nice not to have to worry too much
about watering them for the next several months. And to not worry
about them being out there in the first place.

No comments: