November 18, 2005

Books Laura Loves

I've mentioned many of these before, but it's nice to have them collected in one spot. I'm sure there are more out there that I'm forgetting, and there are sooo many options we haven't read yet! Send me your favorite titles, and we'll check 'em out, too.

One of her very first favorites was "My Garden Pop-Up Book" (I looked it up in a few places online, but couldn't find a cover image, so you'll just have to trust me: it's cute). Emily is very excited by it, now, too; I imagine it's the book equivalent of Omnimax for movie-goers. Bright colors, funny faces, moving parts, and a catchy rhyming story; how could it miss?

Of course, she had full doses of "Goodnight Moon" and "The Runaway Bunny". Another early love affair was with "Baby Food", and then we discovered all the other books by Saxton Freymann and Joost Elffers. I do like a book that makes *us* (the "grown-ups") laugh, too. (If you haven't seen these before, they are books full of photos of various things, made up entirely of fruits and vegetables. It may not sound funny, but it IS.) We like "How Are You Peeling: Foods With Moods" and we also now have the latest, "Food for Thought".


I've mentioned "Madeline" before; I actually picked it up on a whim at the library, since I vaguely remembered liking the rhymes as a child myself. I didn't think Laura would like it all that much...but I was wrong! Two of her birthday books were from the series (one original, one follow-up). The others were: "Mooses Come Walking", which is just plain quirky, but tickled our fancy; "Papa, Please get the Moon for Me", which we knew we HAD to get for her soon (we took it back to the library some time in July, largely in self-defense for our voices; she asked and asked and asked for it at bedtime for a loooong time after that); and the latest Diaper David book, "David Smells".

I can't end this list without mentioning Sandra Boynton. I have always loved her art--seen mostly on greeting cards--so I was thrilled to learn she's written children's books. We have "Barnyard Dance", which has an amazing rhythm (it even reads like a square dance!), and the other night at the Borah's we got to experience a book/CD combo she put together of her silly songs.

I can't believe I almost forgot the one that is now indelibly traced on my brain by repetition: "Where the Wild Things Are"! I guess it's a small price to pay for having such a bookworm in the house.

No comments: