October 6, 2005

Just the usual...

Crazy, as always. I know that, ironically, things will get a *little* easier when Emily's more willing to be put down. I remember getting an amazing amount of stuff done during the time between Laura being o.k. not being in my lap, and getting pregnant (and exhausted thereby). I know there will be other challenges--like keeping the new toddler safe from the bigger kid, and that exciting stage where anything and everything will have to go in Emily's mouth--but at least I'll be able to "move about the cabin" on a more regular basis.

Emily also ate for an hour and a half at a stretch last night, and that may have colored my vision a bit! She's definitely on a growth spurt; she passed through most of the 3 month clothes over the last two weeks, and now I am digging into the 9 and 12 months things to stock the drawers as she keeps elongating. She is going to be tall, I think.

Anyway, Matt had a meeting Monday night for parents of the team, and yesterday he and Rebekah went to the store, to get ready for a big cooking day on Saturday, so I've put Laura to bed on my own twice this week (last night went better than Monday!) Now our busy-ness is from getting ready for Saturday; tonight I made 15 cups of rice (filling our bigger dutch oven...that's a LOT of rice! But we'll use it.), and started some yogurt turning into cheese (a nice solution to the vast wasteland that is non-fat sour cream; basically, you eliminate the water from yogurt and you have a much healthier version). I'll post a link to directions when I get around to it; my version of the process involves a bowl, a colander, some coffee filters, and the nf yo. Overnight gets you sour-cream substitute consistency; longer gets you up towards cream cheese texture. Nummy! Oh, and it works better supposedly (though I haven't tested this, I'll know by tomorrow) if you get "natural" yo, without any gelatin added. When I get time and energy to make bread again, I'll even recycle the drained whey and use it as liquid in the bread dough. "Waste not, want not," or whatever.

No comments: