September 7, 2005

Today was a little rough; not even Laura got enough sleep last night, I think. That sort of thing ripples into the next day. I'm hoping whatever it was (and I do have a guess...) has worked its way out of Emily's system. She's been sleeping a lot better this evening. Here's hoping it lasts....

Poor Matt; it was his first full day of teaching, which apparently went o.k. We'll try and get him caught up on sleep tonight, though, since there's still a lot of stuff to do this week. He has a fundraiser on Saturday (pop can drive), and we have to go to church on Sunday to welcome the Vic back from her sabbatical (besides, they're having an all-church picnic. Num!) So there's no time to be down.

On the other hand, I'm glad to report that my "bounce" is back...I miss that when I'm pregnant. What I think of as "bounce" is that which makes me realize that, if I can't sleep, I might as well get as much done as I'm able (and thus, the second load of laundry is in the dryer. Stuff like that.) When pregnant, I have no bounce. Confronted with lack of sleep (or any other tragedy), I simply collapse in a hopeless heap. This is loads better!

I'm depressed with the developments on Katrina. Can't say I'm surprised, but depressed. People are still being evacuated, and the blame game has already begun. Although I think I have a fairly clear idea of who shares the blame (and there are many!) for the magnitude of the disaster, I'm trying to keep my mind on the people who are alive and need help (it's getting harder by the day, though.) It's hard, for me at least, to focus on needs when I'm angry. I also haven't heard very many solutions; most of what I've read or been sent seems to focus on who did what to whom, or on what *should* have happened, not what ought to be done in the future. Guess that's what happens when you've done policy debate; I'm always looking for a plan of action! So, while I'm thinking and paying attention to all the verbiage, I'm trying not to let it get to me. I am still thankful every time I flush the toilet; that does help keep me focused on what matters.

1 comment:

Tami said...

ohhh...thanks for the reminder about cans.........i have a ton of them! i wish they were picking up in mt angel the way they are in silverton. but i will drive them in anyway......t